Welcome Aboard!

This blog is designed to share experiences, discuss mental health, and provide a platform for catharsis when required. Some of this may be difficult or uncomfortable to read. It is not my purpose to upset people, but from time to time, subject matter may prompt this. Please feel free to comment, or to share your similarities and differences. Look forward to hearing from you. Spammers, or those who are not interested in constructively sharing, will be blocked.

Saturday 8 December 2012

What's it all about, Alfie?

So why have I started this blog?  There are loads of mental health blogs out there, why should I start yet another one?  I guess I want to share what it's like to have multiple conditions to manage, which occasionally feed each other, and occasionally oppose each other (mostly the former).  I'm not interested in trying to tell people how to manage their own health, I'm not a doctor, I'm not a psychologist, and I'm not a mental health professional.  I AM an occupational therapy student, but more importantly, I'm someone for whom daily living can sometimes be a mission, despite doing all the right things.  I think it is important for people to understand this about mental health - even when you do everything by the book, things can still go wrong, sometimes just a little pear-shaped, sometimes to the extent that the wheels fall right off.  For people out there with mental health issues, this is important to know because it stops us beating ourselves up any time things happen to our minds that we don't welcome.  For people out there who know and/or care about someone with mental health issues, this is important to know because the person you are family, friends, or colleagues with is almost always trying NOT to be sick, and things happen despite their efforts.

So, what exactly am I dealing with?  My first diagnosis was social phobia, in conjunction with clinical depression.  I was diagnosed with these two at 19.  My second diagnosis was chemical dependence (aka addiction), which I was diagnosed with at 21.  My third diagnosis was bipolar I disorder, which nullified my initial diagnosis of depression.  This diagnosis came a few weeks before I turned 24.  A new diagnosis every couple of years, I know, it sounds like I was sitting reading the DSM-IV and thinking to myself, "I'm bored with this, give me a new set of signs and symptoms", but I promise you, it definitely didn't have anything to do with boredom!  I'll do separate posts about my diagnoses, in order to share some basic information about them, as well as to share my experiences with them.  At this stage though, I think it's important to put that basic information out there.

It's also important at this point, right at the beginning, for me to state that I do not believe that psychiatric disorders are a sham.  I do not believe that they are the invention of a field of medicine that wants to be in the limelight and receive perpetual funding, and I do not believe they are the invention of "Big Pharma".  If you're going to comment that I am some kind of dupe, or that I've been brainwashed, please do not bother, this is not a platform for that, and I am not interested in those kinds of comments, as I have seen too many people die because they listened to those sorts of opinions.  Ultimately, I guess I am here because I live with a host of strange phenomena, and I want to share this life honestly and openly.  If people connect with that, awesome.  If people can help, awesome.  If people receive help, awesome.  A little word on perseverance...

He moana pukepuke e ekengia e te waka!
(The canoe can navigate a choppy sea.)

6 comments:

  1. Well done, Megs... I tried to something like this back in 2006 but ran out of steam after a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. I've been thinking about this for quite some time, but being so completely lacking in tech-savvy, I never thought I'd get there. Thankfully I've had to create two blogs for courses this year, so I can now do the basics. Feel free to chip in whenever, you know how much I do value your experience. :)

      Delete
  2. This is good idea mate. You've always been a great writer, so I7d say you're exactly the sort of person to be disseminating information and discussing some of the issues about mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey mate! Hope you'll stop by some more, would appreciate your feedback from time to time :)

      Delete
  3. Hun, HUGE KUDOS on setting up your blog and sharing your story, your heart and your struggles... I am a firm believer that in sharing our own stories we open and carve a pathways for others to follow behind, the sense that they are not alone and that if you can do it and/or persevere through the trials you face, you give the ability and courage for others to also. I can only imagine the guts and thought that went into setting up this blog to stand up and make a difference, I can only imagine the courage it would have taken. You are doing awesome things and I have huge respect for you! Keep it up, believe in yourself because you are amazing. Will keep checking in as I see you post new updates. Hang in there hun, sounds like you have already come such a long way and I know you will continue. You will make a difference for many people as you help others through your occupational degree. I had so much fun with you at Abano and enjoyed many of our chats, Love and blessings, Kylee xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kylee! Thank you so much for dropping in! Thank you so much for your words, they mean a lot coming from someone who knows exactly what it is to go through trials, tribulations, and forwards and backwards steps. You won't believe this, but I still have not bitten my nails since Abano, lol! Poor things keep breaking though, no matter what strengthener I use or how much I apply. Never mind, I will get there! Good to have your blog address as well, so I can follow you. :)

      Delete